Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Brown Sugar Bonanza


Got my bake on today. I've been itching to try a new recipe for brown sugar pound cake and see if I could translate it into a cupcake cooking time without it drying out. They turned out amazing! Then I topped them off with brown sugar butter cream...seriously so good I want to marry it. But wait there's more! I topped that with a brown sugar cinnamon drizzle. Utter deliciousness. These are definitely a cupcake worthy of a grown up party but the kids liked them too. They are really complex in flavor and sweet. The perfect partner to a strong cup of coffee.

I found the recipe online at Boston.com. I'll share it with you and include the edits I made for myself.

3 cups flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

¼ teaspoon salt

¾ cup (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature

2 cups light brown sugar

3 eggs

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1 cup milk


1. Set the oven at 350 degrees.

2. In a bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt to blend them.

3. In an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until creamy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl several times. Mix in the vanilla.

4. With the mixer set on low speed, add the flour mixture alternately with the milk in 3 additions, beating just until combined. Pour the batter into the pan and smooth the top.

5. Bake cupcakes 18-20 minutes or until they spring back when touched.

Brown Sugar Butter Cream
1 1/2 sticks butter room temperature 1 C brown sugar packed 1 teaspoon vanilla approximately 1 pound powdered sugar pinch of salt 3-4 tablespoons milk

beat together butter and brown sugar to within an inch of its life
beat in vanilla and salt
add powdered sugar and milk
beat until smooth light and fluffy.
Frosting will still be somewhat grainy because of the brown sugar but trust me it's fine. You'll hardly notice when you stuff that whole cupcake in your mouth LOL

Brown Sugar Cinnamon Drizzle
mix brown sugar a sprinkle of cinnamon and a little water to a somewhat smooth consistency. It won't be liquid, still grainy but fluid. Drip over tops of cupcakes.

1 comment:

Pat Q said...

I was perusing your blog and found these cupcakes--they look exactly like what my daughter made for Christmas--she stuck a green coffee stirrer in each one and called them Starbucks. Yours look delicious.