Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Busy Busy Busy

Things have been hectic here. Lots to do, lots going on and lots accomplished. All of it brought to fruition this past weekend.

This past Saturday I joined about 2000 other men and women at Fort Mason in San Francisco to kick off the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer. This was my third year and the first year that I am proud to say I walked every step of the 39.3 miles! And you know me, I got some crafting in there. This is the shirt I wore Sunday to walk 15.7 miles and cross the finish line. It has the name of everyone I hold in my heart while I walk. Some we've lost, some are survivors and some are still fighting.

This is truly a labor of love for me. I enjoy the training, the people I meet and the fund raising. This year I raised $5054! Can you believe it! I have such a tremendous support system in my friends and family..and a few strangers too. I know I can count of these people each year to support my with donations, kind words and support in training.

Saturday's route took us from Fort Mason out towards the Ferry building then into Pacific Heights before circling back to head up the hill to the Golden Gate bridge. We crossed the bridge, "strolled" through Sausalito passing through Mill Valley and ending up the day at the Wellness Village in Corte Madera. 23.6 miles in total. That pink arch and those smiling faces at the Wellness Village were such a welcome sight.

Before I sign off and attempt to make a card and play with my Copic markers I want to recount a story...

My family and I were walking back to the car after I crossed the finish line, hit the medical tent for my feet and signed up for next year's walk. I was hobbling along on bandaged up feet and a taped up leg and I hear from behind me "Oh no oh no are you ok?" from a woman who had been at the farmer's market.
Me "Couldn't be better, thanks"
Woman "Did you walk? I am a breast cancer survivor. Thank you for walking"
Me "Wow, congratulations! You're incredible!"

We exchanged smiles and went on our way. I don't think she knows how much that meant to me.

1 comment:

Marjorie said...

im proud all over the place!